Thursday, June 16, 2011
Impulse Control and Marshmallow Snacks
When presented with a marshmallow and told that they could eat it now, or if they waited until the presenter got back, they would get two marshmallows to eat, only 65% of the children delayed gratification.
I laughed till I cried watching Stephen Colbert, parody this experiment the Colbert Report (6/15/2011). There are obviously many successful adults who have impulse control issues when it comes to food. Some of us could wait forever before succumbing to a marshmallow, but everyone has a trigger food that knocks them off the wagon of managed eating behavior. We may defer a carefree weekend to finish something from work, but we are going to snack while we do the task.
Impulse control can be managed if we remember that not every activity deserves a treat. That's how we train dogs. Despite heavy TV advertising and out-sized grocery aisles of junk food, we can outsmart our desires for snacks. For starters, it's good to realize that "healthy snacks" is an oxymoron.
Another way to curb mindless eating is find a hobby that takes both hands. If that doesn't suit, then keeping long term goals like healthy living and weight loss in your head should make you think before you eat.
http://listas.rpp.com.pe/gastronomia/1368-concurso-las-7-maravillas-gastronmicas-del-per Soups round the world are often composites of l...
watermelon, cucumber, tomato, feta salad The first recipe in my series of healthy recipes is from Sylvie owner of Gourmand in the Kitche...
http://www.glamour.com/health-fitness/2010/09/ the-cavewomans-guide-to-good-health?currentPage=1 The Paleo diet or "hunter gathere...
According to the USDA's Dietary Guidelines 2010, Chapter 5, p.45 , "individuals with a higher Mediterranean diet score have red...
The "fruit" from the Garden of Eden was depicted as an apple by Lucas Cranach around 1538. See similar images by Albrecht Du...
Normally I illustrate my blogs with photos that define my point with humor or visual appeal. The albeit disgusting image on the left is ...
Are you a meat and potatoes person? According to results of a Texas study, there is no need to choose between proteins and carbohydrates...
- ► 2015 (26)
- ► 2013 (45)
- ► 2012 (25)
- Pea, Edamame and Mint Soup with Feta
- Healthy Recipes Tab
- Skinny Girl Margarita
- Make It or Break It - Habit Control
- What Is Quinoa
- Fruit Diets - Fact or Summer Fantasy
- Weight Loss - The Diet Conundrum in Your Community...
- Impulse Control and Marshmallow Snacks
- The DASH to Diet in Buenos Aires
- Anticancer Diet - BLUEBERRIES
- Save Money and Calories by Eating at Home
- 2 Reasons to Change Your Eating Behavior Today
- 5 Early Interventions To Change Childhood Eating P...
- Organic vs Not - Dollar Cost Averaging Approach
- Commit to Stocking Your Refrigerator With Healthy ...
- Heart Healthy Eating: The Mediterranean Diet
- Changing Behavior is about FOCUS: Focus on Fruits...
- Divide Your Plate and Conquer - Ideas on Portion P...
- The New Food Icon - Are They Kidding?
- The New Food Icon - Divided Plate or Round?
- ▼ June (20)